Saturday, December 13, 2014

Surprise - We're Pregnant!

6 Weeks

We've been wanting a baby for a while, so it's been exciting news. I still think it hasn't hit me yet though, because I feel like my belly should be popped out. I forgot all about the pre-belly part: the initial doctor appointments, the car sickness and eating nothing but Cup O' Soups, the announcing to family and friends, the absence of a belly and feeling pretty normal and wandering what the baby's doing in there - oh, it's only gas.

Well, the first thing that hinted at being pregnant is that I've been keeping track of my cycles. After I missed three days I took a test. Negative. I noticed later that I was drinking a lot of water. Way more than usual for me - I never drink enough. So I took another test after five days. Negative. The next day, in the morning when I was teaching school, I felt an instant bout of tiredness. I thought I was going to pass out on the kids. I kept telling myself to get it together. So they went up for exercises and I drank more water to wake myself up. At this point I still felt like I wasn't pregnant and I was just off schedule. Lunch was coming up and I could hear Miss Pat upstairs getting ready. An awful stench drifted downstairs like rotted meat. It was so gross! I figured, maybe she's cleaning out the fridge or dog got something, older kid did something - we're not eating that. When we walked upstairs for lunch, it was spaghetti and I smelled it again. As we were sitting at the table, I looked around at the kids and at Miss Pat. Nobody said anything about it. Doesn't anyone smell it? They just kept eating like it was delicious spaghetti. So I took a bite. As it came up to my mouth, I could smell it. As it was in my mouth, I could taste it. So I prayed silently that I wouldn't get E. Coli or Ebola Virus and kept eating. It bugged me all day. Before bed I got out the phone and looked up the symptoms of pregnancy. Sure enough - fatigue, frequent urination, food cravings, nausea, spotting, constipation, tenderness, and heightened sense of smell. All of which I was having.

For the past week I had been waking up early for some reason, from 3:30-5:30 in the morning every day. It sucked. The next day after looking up the symptoms, I woke up at 5:30 with the urge to go to the bathroom. I thought, I don't want to get out of bed. Go back to sleep, go back to sleep, go back to sleep. Ugh - I'm awake. Might as well take a test. I got up, took a test. Positive. I knew it! I KNEW IT!! The rest of the morning I was wide awake, trying to secretly wake up Aldo by nudging him with my elbow or drooping my feet on him. He finally woke up around 7:00 am and went into the bathroom. I had left the test out on the counter for him to see. He came back out and said, "So, what are we going to do today?" Uhhhhh….. I said, "I think you need to brush your teeth." He went back in and came back out. "Didn't you see anything in there, honey?" "No." I got out of bed and went in the bathroom, and waved my hands magically over the positive test. His face LIT UP. He immediately wanted to call everybody, but I wouldn't let him call everyone. We phoned Zac, Pastor Tony, and Miss C. Then we planned how we were going to tell the rest of the family. Christmas is coming up you know…

That was Wednesday, December 10th. Later that day I had to work at the library and Mitzy planned a small Christmas get-together before Christmas because Lily and Vero are going to Texas for the holidays. We agreed to keep it secret until Christmas. Aldo called me at the library saying he was going to blab. I gave him a pep talk, and after I hung up, it was hard to keep it from the ladies at the library who overheard. They were all ECSTATIC for us too. Luke's going to be a big brother!

Thursday, Aldo planned on meeting up with his dad for lunch and surprising him by bringing him by Luke's swim lessons. Afterwards he would tell him that for Christmas we want to take him shooting at the shooting range. I can't wait to impress him with my sharpshooting skills (something I found out this last Thanksgiving). While we were standing there, he turned to me and says, "I'm going to tell him." "Ok." We went back to watching Luke swim, and after Luke is done I look over - Aldo had showed him the little picture I made without me knowing. I missed his finding-out face! Aldo says he did a double take and was super happy.

Yesterday, I went to the regular doctor for confirmation. She said I was 6 weeks pregnant and need to schedule soon with my OB/GYN, prescribed me some pre-natals, and my EDC (estimated date of confinement or due date) is August 5th.

I'm so excited. Luke said he wants a sister that is his age. Not sure that's how it works. But he's so good with babies! And he needs a play friend. If I have baby around August, then within a month Luke will go to Kindergarten. He'll get to ride the bus and have his own thing. There won't be much rivalry, I'll have time for both! I'm so excited for it to come. And for his reaction on Christmas Eve. For Mom's reaction, for Dad's reaction! For Aldo and Luke to feel my pregnant tummy together! For Luke to whisper secrets to my belly. For having to make a circle with my arms at night for where the baby will be. For baby showers! And diaper bags and baby shoes and clothes! This is going to be great!

No comments:

Post a Comment