Saturday, May 30, 2015

Crazy Days of Summer - Part 1

30 Weeks

So… update on my surgery: It wasn't as expected.
We went to the surgery facility (same building where my OB is) that morning. I had pre-registered online and everything, all we had to do was sign some paperwork and pay the downpayment fee. During this time, as I looked around there were signs everywhere that said to notify front desk or notify your nurse, etc. if you are pregnant (because there is radiation in use). I did at the sign-in. I did with my nurse that took me back to the - it wasn't a room, it was more of an enclosed space in the wall. And I did again with the other person that came there. The anesthesiologist knew already. So they get me prepped (nothing but robe, IV in, pressure cuff on, the whole shebang), and the anesthesiologist says he's going to meet with the doctors one last time to discuss what they're going to do. The safest thing they can do is give me something to make me sleep and put a tube down my throat.
They come back saying, ummm…. we can't perform surgery here, you're pregnant. What? It's in their policy. What? The strange thing is, I set this up by pre-registering and they knew I was pregnant from the beginning. All well, what now? They were sending me to a different facility across the parking lot, I could keep my IV in, they'll send me with the filled out paperwork, of course no charge, and were very apologetic. A few minutes later someone comes in and says we can't have the IV stay in because they don't know if I do drugs. Then the director of the building comes in and asks if I know why the IV can't stay in. Because you don't know if I'll do drugs??? They'll fine me over $2000 for an ambulance ride I didn't take. Oh brother, take the IV out and let's get on with this…
Made it to the other place. Got me prepped again, no waiting. Not too much paperwork. Everything seemed rushed though. And I felt like, maybe this should be slowed down a bit… I want everyone familiar with the plan before something goes wrong. And they referred to me as "the pregnant lady". It did slow down - the doc took another patient, so everyone wasn't in a rush anymore. We went over my history again, etc etc. The stinking IV had to go in the same vein because the others just weren't working = most painful part of the whole surgery. And, they changed the plan. Instead of being completely out, they'd give me a spinal tap (stronger than an epidural) where I can't feel my lower half. Wouldn't need a tube (Yay!), but I'd be wide awake.
Finally, I'm taken into a surgery room. It was a wide, open space with a super skinny bed in the middle. All the hoses and computers were around it and there were three circular lights above it. They helped me move over to the bed, which I thought was kind of silly, but then the nurses had to give me the spinal tap as I was sitting sideways and my legs hung over. It was weird because I thought I could lay back down by myself, but they insisted on helping me… it's a good thing that they did… I got one leg on and by the second I couldn't feel or control my legs anymore! They did a prick test on me and I could still feel near my stomach, so they put the bed on an incline, head down. Which made me nauseous. The surgery is kind of a blur now (and I don't want to go into too much detail), but I remember that I kept wondering when they were going to get started. I was about ready to ask, but then I saw them swing my legs into stirrups and that answered my question. (I couldn't feel a thing.)
Mila moved the entire time during surgery. I felt her. And I just prayed she wasn't stressed out or anything. There was a point, also, where I saw EVERYTHING in the reflection of one of the lights. I told the nurse and she adjusted it. Then later they brought in a tv screen, which I also asked to be moved so I couldn't see. The surgery was 45 minutes long, and they said that I was the ideal patient. Afterward all I wanted was food. The next few days, I didn't hurt much which was surprising. But I did limit my movements. (I was afraid to take large strides and cough, etc) After two weeks, I was approved of all activities.

Because of the surgery and other issues, Miss Pat decided school should just be over. What's one week and one letter sound difference anyway? So Luke had a simple and quick graduation from Future Visions Academy. I'm no longer his teacher. <sad face> Now I'm just his mom. <relief> I liked helping out at the pre-school, but it's definitely not my age group. I only had two kids, and one of them was mine!! Also, I think the emotions and limitations of pregnancy made teaching the age group more difficult.

Oh, and another surprise.. with youth camp coming up, for some reason I had the need to go out and get donations. The only day I saw fit was the second day after surgery when Aldo was off work. So we went all over Legends and other places for almost 12 hours asking for help. And we got it too! I think people felt sorry for me. Half way through I could't walk much anymore. It was one of those things… you get stuck in a hospital bed one day, and everyone tells you to recover the next day - you just want to be useful. (Aldo says we set the bar high for next year. I just kept thinking - and I still do - that nothing is going to keep me from camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment