Sunday, March 11, 2012

All Things Elmo

Yes, Luke is now hooked on Elmo. First thing in the morning, that's what he wants to do. Watch Elmo. This originally started in Texas when we were visiting family. We hadn't thought to bring toys. Oops and Duh! So we had to run by a store and Elmo seemed good. He didn't like it. He didn't even want to play with it at the time.
After a few months, I went through this shock of - oh my gosh, how do kids learn anything?! I'm supposed to teach my child how numbers, colors, letters, naming things, sounds, etc. and I just didn't know where to start. I asked my sister-in-law, who has two boys of her own that are only a little bit older than Luke, and she said that it just happened. They watched educational shows and asked when they wanted to know. So in a panic that Luke wasn't getting anything, I brought home "Elmo", "Barney", "Dora", and some other stuff. And Elmo stuck. First time I put it in, he sat right down and watched the full show.
Now he knows all or most of the characters' names and what they like. On the good side, he's learned about animals, food, exercise, etc. It's also opened us up for potty training. Luke received an Elmo potty. It flushes and laughs. And an Elmo potty book and we've watched the movie together on how to potty. It'll happen when he's ready. Right now he's scared to sit on it naked. He's also watched the Elmo sharing movie. Not working yet. (I think he's entering into the Terrible Twos early... he got in trouble the other day for hitting a little girl and later pushing her into the wall in SUNDAY SCHOOL!)
So if you're wondering what has been going on with us lately - it's Elmo.

No comments:

Post a Comment