Monday, October 12, 2015

Growth

Strange how our minds and memories work, and generally how life itself works out.

Lately there's been a lot of discussion about first child (the oldest, which I am), second child, and if you are blessed enough to have one, the third child and so on. So I've been thinking a lot about similarities between Luke, me, and other older siblings that we know like Veronica and Natalie Gutz. And similarities between Maecy and Mila, Aldo, etc. And how I'm going to need some time before we even consider having a third child.

The Alvidrez family is the exception. They're all crazy.

Anyway, we were hanging out with Maecy the other day telling stories about how much trouble she got into growing up. A lot of it had to do with poop or eating unsanitary things. Once she ate gum off of a tire. Yummy! A few times she has dirtied up bathrooms. And she's gone without underwear a lot! I don't think I ever did anything really bad except make her sing "shake your booty" in public (on a table at McDonalds). But really hashtag... #peopleofMcDonalds is basically the same as #peopleofWalmart ... People expect nuts to walk through their doors. Is Luke my easy child and Mila my little trouble-maker? We shall see.

But the purpose of this post was I was going to talk about growth. With Luke every milestone was new. We had no idea what to look for, what to expect, what to savor. With Mila I see the stages. I see the on-coming of milestones. And I appreciate them more and more. The newborn only lasts so long. Mila probably 2 weeks. To all those future mommies and daddies out there take as many pictures as you can of your newborn. The tinyness and essence of newborn only lasts so long. I knew Mila grew out of the newborn stage almost immediately. I can see subtle changes this time around a lot better than with Luke. Mila has this little peacock patch of hair that grows a little more each day. She had chunky legs now with more rolls than the Pillsbury doughboy (not really... but she does have rolls). But I can tell when she's growing long or filling out because when I change places in the middle of the night to feed her (crawling over one side to the other) I look down and notice... She's bigger than yesterday. And before I could see big milestones but now I can break them down into weeks. She's really starting to coo now. You appreciate every raspberry they blow. It only lasts so long and the next day they're talking... Repeating your name "Mommy... Mommy... Mommy..." in your ear a hundred times... And then you hear them less because they go to school all day, but thank goodness the days are quicker... But then one day they're grown. Married at 30 (not 13, Luke) with their own kids and days pass so fast.

How did this post get to be so depressing? Ok, I'm going to go appreciate the day with my kids now. Kids. That's plural. Hasn't entirely sunk in yet.

The Hair Tuft 

<3 My Kids <3

No comments:

Post a Comment