Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Gender Reveal

Same Day

I had been drinking water all day because I knew that I had to for the appointment. So when we got to the doctor's office, I had to go to the restroom really bad. Immediately they pointed us to another waiting room for the sonogram. They said to wait and ask the technician, but I couldn't hold it and nobody was coming, so I went. (I've done this for 9 mo. with Luke and 4 mo. with this one… you think I would be a pro at the pee test, but I'm not.) I guess while I was gone, the technician came out two times looking for me. Oops. So when I got back, we were led to the room right away - a small room, some seating on the left, my spot in the center, a tv screen in front of me on the top of the wall, and her computer station on the right of me. She got out her squirty stuff and wand and found the baby right away. But, of course, someone called her out of the room. As she left, she swiped the wand across my belly, so the tv still showed an image of the baby's face, but it was sort of stretched.
While she was gone I whispered to Aldo, "Hey, it kind of looks like a chimp."
Luke overhearing said blatantly, "Mommy, the baby can't be an animal. It's a human. You can only have humans." Precious. The whole time I was thinking, Luke would think the baby looked strange, and maybe one day when he's mad call the baby "ape face"… but no, he's a sweetheart and would think nothing of it.

When the lady got back, she scanned my tummy again. She had to take measurements while looking at everything. So first we looked at the baby's whole body. She said that the baby was skinny looking because there's hardly any muscle right now. So the bone structure, etc. will all look thin. And then she skipped to the privates. I didn't think she would tell us right like that, but she did. She said, "See these three lines…" And I thought, "Yes, two legs and something in the middle… it's a boy". "… it's a girl." WHAT?! I had to look at Aldo to make sure I heard right. We were both open mouthed. I think Aldo teared up a bit. Luke was excited. I was in shock I think. I was certain this baby was going to be a boy. Just because I've been knitting girl things, everyone's been saying how we need a girl (like I can control  it), and because the odds weren't looking that great. Wow, a girl.
So I guess, when looking at those pics, if you see three lines that are the same length, it's a boy and if you see a W then it's a girl. Sounds complicated and too close to me. Afterward, I asked her about it - I said, "Now, these things aren't certain, so how sure would you say you are with that reading?" 98%.
We're having a girl!!!!

The rest of the time she measured and counted things. Head length. Arm bones. Leg bones. Placenta. 2 arms, 2 legs. Lip attached. 2 kidneys. Everything looks good, everything is healthy. Right now she is breech position, which means she would come out booty first. HOWEVER, the lady tech also said that she is "feisty". She would not hold still for any of the measurements, she'd move for the pictures, and she wouldn't get in the right position either… the doc wanted a nice profile picture, but she kept looking right at the camera it seemed… and then she turned around completely. Hahaha! Doomed. We are all doomed. :)

The tech gave us a lot of pictures! Probably because this is our first sonogram with this little one. My appointment with Dr. Holmes was cancelled, so we had to reschedule for Thursday.

On the way home, we decided to eat and call the family. I had a gender reveal planned… Luke opening a box of balloons, either blue or pink coming out. What I failed to realize is that it's March and there are no leaves on the trees at our house. An ugly background. We threw that idea out the window and decided to call. First calls were to Lily, Vero, Lalo, Dad, Mom, Maecy, Stacia, the Gutierrez family, and Zac & Rose. I later in the day let the Tomlins, Springers, Jul, John Stalic and Ruby know. Somehow Jerad found out (Ruby!), and when we went to show Granddad mom's new utility vehicle, we announced that we were having a girl to him and to Millie. On Saturday, Mom, Luke and I helped paint the new church building and I had to tell all of the Pastors. So… there's not too many people left to tell with a gender reveal. But we're going to take a picture anyway and post to Facebook. I bought the pink shoes for it! It's a must!

Aldo is excited and nervous. What is he going to do with a girl? We've never raised a girl before… He wants to take the childbirth classes again. I'll tell you what though, this family is amazing. I'm blessed.

Baby Girl Alvidrez - March 24th, 2015 - 4 Months Along

Smiling at Luke
When we left, Luke asked which pictures were his. I said he could have the one where she's smiling at him. Then he asked for more - 4 to be precise.

Skinny Butt
She hasn't developed a lot of cushion yet they said. I guess we'll have to wait and see who she takes after here.

The Reveal Photo
Do you see the "W"?

No comments:

Post a Comment