Thursday, August 26, 2010

New House, New Day

A lot has been happening lately; I'm so bad for not writing anything... I'm afraid I might forget something.
We moved out of the apartment and into my mother's basement this past weekend. It wouldn't have been so bad, but she had all of her stuff from when I lived there, plus stuff she was working on for her antique booth, plus other random junk... there just wasn't enough space. We had to move things out before we could even move in. And in the blazing heat! But thankfully, we have three garages and some tough Mexican dudes that offered to help us out. Craigslist get ready...
The first night wasn't bad. We slept in our own bed in our own room. And Luke in his crib in his own room. It was hard getting to sleep. Luke usually just lays in my arm and we fall asleep together, his little body heat keeping me warm. But I was without, so I was up all night. And I kept worrying about him. He had a schedule at the apartment, but this first night he didn't follow it. So I kept waking up thinking it should be feeding time. And I kept wanting to check on his breathing. The information goes out about SIDS and things like that.. and so when you come home with your brand new baby you freak out that you're going to be the one in a million that it's going to happen to. At four o'clock I heard squirming, so I turned to the hubs and said, "I'm waking him up and feeding him!" And that's what I did. And he ended up falling asleep in the middle of his bottle.
The next night was exactly the same, but I wasn't as worried. He only woke up once at five o'clock.

All week I have been gradually getting our new home in order. You can imagine how much I've actually gotten done though with the cutest baby ever hanging around. He has grown up so much! It's kind of a heartache. Because I know it's not going to last forever. Getting away from that subject...
We have our playtime each day. I go through all the games I can think of. Running with his feet (that's his favorite as he can do it all by himself now), Patty Cake with his feet, and Ahooah! were his originals. Now we say our vowels, but all I ever hear is "goo" or blowing raspberries. I tease him and say, "Stop doing that! You look like you have rabies!" And then he laughs. I glanced through a book that came through circulation at the library, and it mentioned that one of the techniques to teach language is putting the hands up to the mouth. So recently I've been putting his hands up to my mouth and going through the alphabet. In Spanish and English. I'm pretty sure he's going to be a talker! I've also been trying to give him toys. He's not into the rattles yet, but he does like grabbing the "security blankets" that have animal heads attached and shaking them. And gnawing on their appendages. He also likes how his bouncer buzzes under his little hiney. That puts him straight to sleep. And before bed, I'll put him in his crib and turn on his "friends" (Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, and Piglet). He'll smile at them, talk to them, and kick his legs until he passes out.
Oh, AND he's learning how to roll over. He's done it about three times now, with a little help from myself or my sister by pushing down on the mattress. I'm waiting for the day he does it by himself. My little man is growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment