Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Slowing Down & Speeding Up - The Great Conundrum

Things have finally slowed down at our house.

Luke's foot is in the walking boot and healing. Hopefully he's not running on it at school. He's in a routine at home - wake up at 7:00-ish, bedtime at 9:30pm, when he gets home I sign his agenda, etc. Bandit LOVES him. Luke's been sleeping over at Grammy's the past couple of days and you could tell the dog missed his boy. Chewing on his boot, wagging his tail when Luke feeds him in the morning, and hopping over to him when they play. Luke has been doing chores lately, not for money... but for time on his Kindle. Luke has been getting distracted on the thing and with any kid it's easy to lose track of screen time... so now he does a chore to earn Kindle time in 30-minute increments. It's been working out rather well I think.

Mila is still in the "terrible" stage. It takes multiple times for her to go do what she was told to do (like get a diaper or pick up a toy or EAT HER FOOD!). Spankin's don't work and nap threats don't work. I realized that taking away the item or turning off the tv are what does it. She's on this Lilo & Stitch kick, and she got very emotional when I turned the tv off so she would eat her chicken. I told her yesterday to keep her markers for her brand new purse on the table. When I found them on the couch - without the lids on!!! - I FLIPPED OUT. They were immediately taken away.
I feel like such a bad mom sometimes... but I remember going through this stage with Luke and we said nip it in the bud while he's young. So second child... sorry, but we were lenient for a little too long. It's going to be a hard month for you.
At the same time, Mila is just adorable as ever. She says the cutest things, and of course, right now I can't think of anything. Or the way she says them too. Like, Luke will always be "Lukey" to her. :D And Bandit sounds like "band-aid" but right at the last split second she'll add in the T sound.

We went to the doctor not long ago for Aldo and she kept mentioning Luke. The nurse asked her who Luke was and this is how the rest of the conversation went:
Mila: He's a power ranger.
Nurse: That's cool. What color is he?
Mila: <snickers> Pink.
After a while, she changed her mind because she wanted to be pink. Luke could be blue. Daddy red. Mommy gets to be the made-up orange power ranger...

Bandit, we found out, likes the rain. (It's probably because he's dehydrated most of the time... because when I do give him water, he spills it and lays in it.) He also likes swimming. More about that later. He now sits when he wants to come in. And sits when he wants to go out, longingly looking out the sliding glass door. If you take too long, though, he'll tell you or paw at the door. One of the greatest commands he's learned so far is "Time Out". It's the same as "kennel" but he knows he's in trouble. Yesterday was the first time he ate off a plate. I was giving myself a shot of insulin before dinner (which takes like 20 seconds) and he licked my potato salad. Mila saw the whole thing and yelled at him. You better believe he knew he was going straight to time out when I walked in the room.

Aldo and I are doing great (I think?). He's back to his regular schedule at work. With the weather changing though - with that autumn, dreary rain feel - I think it's making his feet swell worse.

I’m doing ok now since the last emotional post. I’m in a very strict routine, but I’m managing. I’m just ready for October. Not so much with baby stuff... We don’t have a car seat yet! Or a diaper bag. Things are finally slowing down with taking different people to doctor appointments. And yet, things are speeding up because WE'RE GETTING READY TO HAVE THIS BABY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment