Thursday, September 13, 2018

I've Worn My Underwear Inside Out All Day & More Stories

Week 36, Day 4

I thought you might get a kick out of the title. It's totally true. We had an NST (non-stress test) done this morning, followed by a visit with Dr. Holmes (where I turned down the option to find out how far I'm dilated... it's not far and I know it because it hurt last week), and a Hospital Navigator appointment to go over the birth plan and see the birth rooms again. As well as, Mila had to see her pediatrician this morning too because she's got a cold and an earache... Poor baby. So we were running around, and this morning I guess I just didn't pay attention enough to get my underwear on right, but hey... I got them on.

Apparently during this time, mama is more forgetful and clumsy. I have to agree. Yesterday we went to David's military burial at the National Cemetery in Leavenworth (quick, yet beautiful service) and I couldn't remember if I brought my purse with my glucose finger stick in it. I didn't think I did so I used Pastor's. When we got back to the car, there it was. <shrugs> The day before I was running out the door for some reason and realized I couldn't find the car keys. So going back in, I found that I forgot the zip lock baggie of my dinnertime insulin routine on the couch (alcohol wipe, bottle of Humalog, shot, two Metformin pills). I grabbed them, ran upstairs, found the keys under all of the baby clothes Mila and I had gone through, and left the zip lock bag. <shrugs> There's no winning here. Your mind is gone, Erryn.

I didn't get any pictures because I wanted to be respectful and I left my phone in the car, but the burial was really nice. Two honor guards stood saluting at the podium while someone else played taps in the background. (I don't know if he was really playing or pushed a button, but I assume he pushed a button because the last note went on a long while and I don't think he had that much air. On the other hand, he acted it out really well... much better than Granddad...) Then the two honor guards undid the flag and refolded it properly. Did you know that each fold means something?? Then one knelt down in his uniform and presented it to Mom. "Ma'am, on behalf of the president of the United States... (etc. etc.) we present you with this... (might have said more)." I cried and couldn't hear anything else. It was so touching and such a huge honor. I think that was the part where you could really feel loss. Like he died in battle. Afterward, two other men came up and took the bagged "cremains", buried them afar, and then we were allowed to go down and see the grave sight. The stone isn't there yet. And shots were never fired either. I think that's only for high ranking officials or if you die in the line of duty. So when Mom dies, she'll be in the same place. On marker 316 (Mom was excited because John 3:16 was a favorite verse of theirs, I guess.)

Anyway, back to pregnancy. And other events.
I never shared my 30th birthday. I was all emotional during the week. One day I'd be excited. One day I wouldn't care. The next day would be depressing. I blame pregnancy hormones.
Forgive me if I repeat myself from prior posts...
On the 1st, we celebrated with Aldo's family. It was kind of a flop. The fam heavily relied on Aldo to be the host, even though it was their idea. He picked out the food and made sure I could eat it. He was in charge of the games and the music, etc. But, unfortunately he had to stay late at work dealing with "the dog exploding on the buyer and leather couch escapade" and then he had to get ice or pick up so and so... the party didn't get started til he got there. I was starving because I had to wait to see how many carbs everything was. While waiting, Vero asked me what I wanted to watch... chick flick!... and put on a horrible, raunchy, and seriously boring movie. Can't believe she even recommended it. On my birthday?? Later, I said I wanted to play the card game Marana, but Aldo's mom vetoed it because I shouldn't be playing a dangerous game in my condition (It's cards. Similar to Spoons. And I wouldn't have to worry anyway... we were playing with Lalo, who is always slow to put his hand down.) The 90s music wasn't what I grew up with. It was weird. And by the time it came time to do anything more, I was ready to go home and sleep. But the food was good! So I'll just say that.

Months before I said that I wanted to go canoeing for my birthday, and Aldo shot me down. By the time September came around, I was all for NOT going canoeing. So I came up with the idea to go to the beach at the lake with the kids, some friends, and our dogs. The lake that I used to go to Dad with won't allow dogs on the beach. Bummer. So instead we found a dog park that has a creek running through it. First we went out to eat at Grinders on the patio. We got so many cute puppy comments. And the kids loved hanging out on the hammocks while waiting for the food. Then we went to the park. It was a trek. It was hot. I could've died. But I didn't. The "path" down to the creek was more of a 75% incline mountain with some branches sticking out for stability. It took three people to get me down and back up again. But it was totally worth it. The dogs had so much fun. Bandit was born for the water! Ok, ok... so he fits in with our family. The kids had so much fun. Luke looked for shells. Mila walked around in the scum and every time she got knocked down, she had to get out, realize her feet or hands were dirty, get back in and wash them. I just enjoyed the water on my feet and the smiles. PERFECT BIRTHDAY. It was my dose of nature that I was wanting.

Mill Creek with All My Friends!

Boys Looking for Shells

Mila Gets Knocked Down & Dirty

Bandit Has a Blast!
(Is This My Birthday or His???)

The next day we were supposed to go to Ant-Man and The Wasp, but we got hung up at the car dealership... buying my birthday present... a 2012 (correction: 2013!) Chevy Traverse. My SUV with the bucket seats I had been researching. What's best is Aldo likes it too. Afterward, we went to Pizza Studio with my mom and... NEW!!! They have almost carb-less pizza! So I was able to enjoy that.

Skip forward. The following weekend, Aldo's mom really wanted to throw me a baby shower. I was under the impression that it would be family and small. It was all of her Zumba friends!! It was full-out, a Mexican baby fiesta! They spoke Spanish the entire time and played Spanish music. I caught a few words here and there... like juego - "play". I just hoped that they didn't make me do anything embarrassing. The games weren't bad at all. They passed around a rolling pin. They played charades. They dropped lemons in a cup. Guessed my belly size with toilet paper. Etc. And at the end, I gave myself a pat on the back for having such a good week of glucose numbers and ate two slices of cake. His mom really went all out and made me feel special.

So I think, now we're all caught up. Finally!
All of these latest posts I've had to stop midway and finish it later. I forget what I wanted to write or what mood I was in (Oh, I must've been venting on that one... but I come back in feeling on top of the world). It must look like I'm all over the place. So what I'll have to do in the future is Publish the post finished or not, and then create a new post the next time. Whew! This book is going to be so interesting...

HA! Speaking of... I just remembered the portion I was wanting to put in. It's the "I know for a fact this is Too Much Information, and too graphic, but it needs to be talked about" portion. So I warn you now!! My biggest fear this time around is hemorrhoids. I'm afraid the one I have is red and swollen and bigger than any of the others that the doctors have seen, and when I give birth it's going to poke out and explode. How's that for imagery? So when we went to the doctor, I asked about it. If there's anything I need to watch out for. And I explained that it doesn't hurt or itch, but I know it's there. The doc wasn't worried at all. She said it was a normal thing and almost everyone gets them. It'll go away after the baby is born and won't affect anything. That made me feel a lot better. Primarily, she won't be absolutely disgusted by it. I've already pooped on her. <sigh> I also have a fear that I didn't prep my nips this time around and that they're going to get chapped and hurt from breastfeeding. Or that there will be clumps because of closed up boobie ducts. My hair down there is unmanaged. But you know what... this is the third time around. I have someone taking pictures of the "birth story" for their portfolio/birthday/me! Any sense of modesty has kind of gone out the window. It kind of has to...

If I think of anything else, I'll try to bring it up right away. Here's to the coming weeks of prepping the bags, installing the car seat, nesting/cleaning the house, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment