Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Gastro-some-kind-of-"itis"

Today has been rough.

Start time.

This morning I was bothered with how much hurt there is in the world. I looked at my son and looked at my daughter and thought how much I love them and how I am determined to raise them to be mighty and stand out. Anyway, I won't go into too many details. The reoccurring thought was long ago I decided "I won't be a statistic." Statistics say children of divorce are more likes to get divorced when they're older. Eh... We'll see about that. Aldo, we're going on 7 years and I haven't itched or budged, in fact we're more in love ...

5 Minutes. Restart Time.

... We're more in love and in sync and continue to want to grow together more than ever before. That's just one thing. Another thing was the cancer testimony. A lot of people get fearful and depressed when they find out bad news. I'm going to admit this, and don't think I'm being harsh, but it felt OK and I had peace, and although it seems morbid, we even joked around. Are we insensitive? No. Are we just that type of people to joke around when times get rough? No, not entirely I don't think. We just had a peace that seriously passes all understanding. Another event wi ...

5 Minutes. Restart Time.

Another event will be this purchasing a house. A lot of times people get frustrated and it's a rough move. Financial troubles or decisions cause arguments. Worry takes over. Things like this cause divorce, and strife among families, etc. I just go back to, "I won't be a statistic." I believe it's time to stand up and stand out and change the culture. Whatever society says - home buying is a difficult thing - It's going to be reversed and better. Whatever is meant to tear us apart is actually going to bring us together, 110%. Anyways, morning thoughts.
Mila slept in a little bit, but it wasn't a surprise because we went to bed late. Well, when she woke up she had spit all around her. It was clear and bubbly. (A little descriptive ...

Oops... Forgot to Restart Time. 5 Minutes.

Oh, I guess I did. 3 something and counting.

Sorry if I'm being too descriptive but you need to know I wasn't worried because it seemed like not at all alarming. We go about our usual day. Then, she spits up spit again, this time a little mucousy but still clear. Strange. Later I think she might be hungry so I breastfeed her.

5 Minutes. Restart Time.

She stops when she's done and a milk stream exits her mouth. (This has happened before, so still nothing unusual.) But when I sit her up she SPEWS. And it was A LOT. Like everything she just drank. I let Aldo know and he said to check to see if she had paper or something stuck on her tongue... Could be gag reflex. Nothing. Maybe teething? She does have one coming in on bottom. And she wouldn't let me check her mouth either....
So I go about as usual still, but keeping a close eye on her. I wanted to go to the library to print some stuff for our home buying, so we can be ready for the banks and getting "pre-approved".

5 Minutes. Restart Time.

<crosses fingers>. At this point I can tell Mila isn't feeling the greatest, so I'll be weary on feeding her liquids or over feeding her. We go to the library. I'm printing and keeping track of how much this is going to cost. And she's getting antsy in her car seat so I'm passing her a teething ring, and my car keys which she likes sometimes, and ok, maybe we'll try a snack puff or two. Almost done, but really antsy, so I'll take her out and hold her. Needs to roam, so I let her crawl a tiny bit. I pick her back up because we're almost done and she pukes. All over my shoulder and I catch some in my hands and get her to the trash can where she continues to heave. Poor baby. This is the time when you star...

5 Minutes. Restart Time. <sigh>

You start questioning whether or not you're a good parent.
So, I tell the librarians, get my stuff packed up, and get Luke and Mila out of there. I call ASK-A-NURSE (Which is one of the best resources out there. I know if I'm feeling worried, they'll let me know what's what). They tell me to go to urgent care for her. I can make the walk-in clinic at the doctors' so I book it!

5 Minutes. Plug in phone cuz battery is low. Restart time. Check Mila for temperature. 

Alright before the doctor comes in, all of a sudden the waiting room smells like eggy, dead skunk. I'm thinking it was just gas. But think stink isn't going away, so I check ...

5 Minutes. Restart time.

I check her diaper. Oh boy, it's bad. The doctor comes in and says that confirms it - Mila has gastroenteritis. I looked it up... It's a contagious stomach bug. But do you know how to cure it? Let it run its course and make sure the baby doesn't get dehydrated. How do I do that? Every 5 minutes for 4 hours (from 6:00pm til 10:00pm) I have to suck exactly 14mL of Pedialyte into a dropper that only measures to 10... And give it to Mila. And continue monitoring her temperature and wet/dirty diapers. After the 4 hours I can reintroduce breastmilk. Then after 24 hours I can reintroduce solids.

Did I restart time? Yes. 6 Seconds. And.... We're done for now. 

I was a human whatever-the-machine-is-at-hospitals-that-makes-sure-you-aren't-dehydrated-by-giving-you-liquids-in-a-tube. I was that. And it was hard. And tiring. Thank goodness Mila was in a cuddly and "I'm still cute" mood. Aldo and my mom both got home right as we were finished. I tried breastfeeding her later and we waited some time to make sure it went down. All seems ok.
This morning at 5am, she had a gnarly diaper again and puked at the same time. Aldo thought it might be a reflex from using all those muscles. But then she puked again at 8. And it was A LOT. I caught it in a hand towel.
So what are we doing now? Laying in bed. Watching. Making sure she doesn't throw up 3 times in a 4 hour period. I'm doing the "Rule of 20s". Feed 1oz of breastmilk and see if she can keep it down after 20 minutes, and gradually increase. Hey, did you know that gastroenteritis can last a few days????? <sad face.> Poor baby Mila.

No comments:

Post a Comment